It is my all-time favorite holiday and my favorite day of the year.
Why, you ask? Well let me give you a few reasons:
1. It's in the summer, and I LOVE summer!
2. It's usually a pretty laid back day and doesn't bring the stress that other major holidays do!
3. We usually celebrate outside, and that's my most favorite place to be.
4. It's filled with all of my favorite "f" words--friends, family, fun, food, freedom, and FIREWORKS!
Moving to Colorado has only increased my love of July 4th.
Why, you ask? Well, let me give you a few reasons:
1. It's not usually hot. Our high for the day was 75 degrees, and it was in the 50s when we watched fireworks--jacket weather!
2. We don't have mosquitos.
3. Our town has a *fabulous* 4th of July parade!
4. Our neighbors have a flag raising/pancake breakfast to kick off the day's events--complete with one neighbor playing "Reveille" on the trumpet. (If that won't rouse you from your slumber, I don't know what will!)
It is just a super fun day all the way around. Here are some of my favorite pictures!
Will snapped this pic...pretty good, eh?
Waiting for the parade to start!
Our parade has a little of everything--kids on bicycles, floats, horses, beauty queens, marching bands, protestors (see the TEA party pics), Shriners in small cars, clowns, firetrucks and SO much more. It's the best small town slice of life you'll find anywhere. It lasts about two hours and has been dubbed the Best Small Town Parade in America! We truly love it!
Click on this picture to enlarge it. My kiddos LOVED these little doggies pulling the wagon!
92.9 is a radio station in Co Springs. They drove this SUV in the parade and played Michael Jackson music the entire time. It was awesome. People everywhere were dancing. Thriller was playing when it cruised past us. Lots of people doing the Thriller dance--so funny!
I took this pic especially for my friend, Lisa. Sorry I was on the wrong side of the street and it's backwards.
We watched fireworks from the cul-de-sac at the end of our street. It rained all afternoon and was still raining when we walked outside so we just drove down there and sat in the van while waiting for them to start! We could see the US Air Force Academy & Palmer Lake fireworks shows. Definitely not the same as being there, but we had thunderstorms ALL afternoon so it was worth it to not be sitting on the soggy ground.(I love making fun of John and his Harry Potter toboggan. He has a matching Gryffindor scarf too.)
Hope you had a fabulous 4th of July too!