I didn't have the two main ingredients on hand--strawberries & chocolate--but that was quickly remedied with a trip to the grocery store (which was on my errand list anyway).
Will spent the afternoon with a friend which gave me the perfect opportunity to make these sweet treats with the girls.
SO easy too.
Here are the instructions in case you want to make some too!
You will need:
Large strawberries (I used 1 lb of small to medium berries)
A bar of chocolate (I bought a 4.4oz Hershey bar and used 3/4 of it)
Small, clean paintbrush
One large and one small heat-proof bowl
1. Wash and hull strawberries. Cut them in half and lay flat side down on a sheet of waxed paper.
2. Break the chocolate into a small bowl. Place the small bowl inside the larger bowl and ask an adult to pour boiling water in between the two, halfway up the side. Let sit for five minutes and then carefully remove the small bowl. Stir the chocolate with a spoon until smooth. (Or you could just microwave it).
3. Dip the tip of each berry into the chocolate to make the ladybug's head. Lay flat side down on waxed paper to dry.
4. Use the paintbrush to paint on chocolate wings and spots. Allow the chocolate to set.
5. Arrange on pretty plate and share with friends!
*We tried making chocolate rose leaves by dipping the shiny side of clean rose leaves into the melted chocolate. We put them in the freezer to harden, then peeled the leaves off. SO neat! You can see one of our leaves in the pic below. And please don't think for a minute that was my idea. It was in the tips section of the recipe.
My family said they were delicious. I wouldn't know because I didn't eat one. NOT a chocolate fan. And yes, I know that I'm weird.